Saturday 2 January 2016

Louis Vuitton Birthday Cake



For the Louis Vuitton cake I had been given a picture of what the customer was wanting and in this case it was a cake inspired by Louis Vuitton’s classic handbag design - the checker board and logo print.

Some of the components for this cake were new to me which I love. As a cake decorator you only improve if you keep on learning, which is why I very rarely turn down a cake order unless I have time constraints.

The first part I started with was making the bow. With it being made out of sugar paste and to hold its shape I needed plenty of time for it to dry thoroughly before constructing. I used Beau sugar paste (which is one of my favourites) in black and created the 2 loops separately, placing scrunched up kitchen paper in the middle of each loop to give it support during the drying process. I gave it a couple of days to dry, just to be on the safe side. Once it had dried I rolled out three 1” wide strips, two that were about 5-6” long for the bow tails and the other strip to wrap around the middle of the flat parts of the loops.
When it came to covering the cakes the bottom tier got 2 layers of fondant around the side. The first layer in the camel colour and the second layer in the checker board squares. To finish the tier of I put dark brown fondant piping around the edges, this makes it look more like a bag. The top tier I covered in the camel coloured fondant again and then hand painted the Louis Vuitton logo around it. I was going to make a stencil but after a bit of practise I felt comfortable enough to be able to free hand.
For the finishing touches the customer wanted the scissors adding to the side of the cake. To make them I printed out a picture of scissors and used it as a template for the sugar paste.



No comments:

Post a Comment