Wednesday 13 January 2016

Fireman Sam Birthday Cake


I've not made many vehicle cakes so I was a bit apprehensive when asked to make Fireman Sam's fire engine, its usually the tyres that go a bit squiffy.
For the engine part of the cake I made it in a tray bake pan, once cut in half its the perfect size and starting shape for the fire engine. Before I started decorating the engine, I got the base cake decorated first. I wanted the cake to look like a scene shot from the new version of Fireman Sam, so around the side I built up the image of Sam holding the water hose tackling a flame. The hose I put on last with it being attached to the engine. For the top of the cake I laid a strip of grey fondant to look like a road for the engine to sit on.
With the base cake finished it was time to start on the engine. Before covering with red fondant I carved the top to create definition from the front of the truck which is slightly higher than the rear where the ladder lives. The other section I carved out was for the wheels. After carving and dirty icing I covered the cake fully in red fondant and then added the details. The only sections I cut out of the red fondant was for the windows, which I replaced with white fondant that I painted with light blue lustre dust.  





No comments:

Post a Comment