Friday 15 January 2016

40 Birthday Cake



My next cake order was for a big number 40 cake. The lady who the cake was for loves old school disco and had the nickname MC Shar Shar so these elements had to be incorporated into the cake design. Main colour palette was purple, black and gold.
To make the cakes I hired the tins from my local Weighin shop, I don't get asked to do many number cakes so I tend to hire as the prices are reasonable and its an expense I can do without.
Once the cakes were chilled of I sandwich the two half together with butter cream, dirty iced them then covered it in purple fondant. To decorate I started with the records, changing the middles to add some contrasting colours. Next was the microphone another requirement to go with MC Shar Shar. To make the microphone I moulded some grey fondant so that it had a bit of a domed middle then used a circle cutter to get the smooth edge without losing the depth. I used the cutting wheel tool to create the mesh effect then applied a silver luster to make it look more like metal. The handle I made out of black fondant, placed the microphone head next to the fondant so I could work out how big and wide the handle needed to be.
The final part was the disco dancer in silhouette, this was my added extra. The top corner was missing something and I didn't want to put more records so I looked on the Internet for some images of dancers and this one popped up. I did my usual of making a template out of the print out. Finished the cake of with gold luster stars and gift label birthday message.   



No comments:

Post a Comment