Thursday 18 April 2013

Toy Story and Hello Kitty Cake

For this cake I'd been asked to make a joint birthday cake half to be for a girl and the other half for a boy. The first design was to be princess and pirates but children being children changed their minds and wanted Hello Kitty and Toy Story instead which was fine with me as I've done Toy Story before and know what Hello Kitty looks like.
It would have been easier to have made two separate cakes but after finishing the cake this afternoon I think it works quite well. 
The cake is chocolate with chocolate butter cream and covered in teddy bear brown and white fondant. 
For the Toy Story side I made the brown fondant look like wooden flooring by rolling lines over it to make slats and tried to add texture with a leaf veining tool but it didn't work as well as it did on the toadstool cake. Sat on top of the flooring is a cow mat with woody and a green alien, I've made them both before so I knew the best ways to get all the detail in with out any struggles this time round.
The Hello Kitty side is covered in lots of flowers, its taken most of the morning to make them all and for once no breakages. The larger flowers have yellow centres and the small ones have a pearl candy in the middle.
I found Kitty's face to be the most challenging to do, it looks straightforward but took three attempts before I was satisfied it looked like the image. I think it was the size of the head compared to the body which is slightly larger that was making it difficult to replicate.
To finish the cake I piped on Happy Birthday but had the dilemma of what colour to use. I ended up going with yellow as both sides have yellow on and its a gender free colour.











No comments:

Post a Comment