Tuesday 2 April 2013

Bridal Cupcakes

I'd been asked by the bakery to make some fake cupcakes for the display unit as they have had a number of people asking about them, so I went straight on the Internet to see how much it would cost to buy some fake cupcake bases to decorate. However I came across an extremely handy video on YouTube showing people how to make fake cupcakes, I can't remember the name of the video but if you type in 'fake cupcakes' in a search engine it should come up on the first page. 
Anyways the main body of the cupcake is made with expanding foam that you would usually use to fill a hole in a wall. If you are planning on making some fake cupcakes yourself use an old or buy a cheap muffin tin as its chemical based and I'm not sure how many washes it would need to go through before it could be used safely to make edible cupcakes. Be warned once you have put cases in the muffin tin and popped a 2p piece in the bottom of each make sure you only go half way up the case with the foam as it does expand by a lot, I had to trim my down as there is no way on earth I could make an edible cupcake that big. Leave it to set over night.
Once the foam has dry, trim it down if needs be and decorate with whatever design you want. For a more detailed explanation watch the video I told you about it is really good.
For my cupcakes I went for a bridal theme, I kept the palette in pastel shades with a vintage feel. The decorations vary from pearls, roses and butterflies. The design that I found troublesome was the blue cupcake covered in white flowers, the petals are extremely delicate once dried and when boxing it up a number of petals fell off and I had to quickly make some more. The other design which took a bit of working out was the rose and pearls design, the first attempt at this I made the pearls way to small and it didn't look right so I started again with a larger pearl which totally works and doesn't take as long to make. 
For the large rose cupcake I used two rose petal cutters they were the fourth and fifth larger cutters. To make it I cut out the petals and built it straight onto the cupcake except for the middle section which I made a rose and popped it in to the middle to finish it.










No comments:

Post a Comment