Friday 12 April 2013

Toadstool Birthday Cake

The Toadstool cake was for a first birthday which I love making because they are usually very cute and this was no exception as soon as I was given the order I couldn't wait to make it.
The first thing I did was cover the board in green fondant and stippled it with a brush to give it a lawn effect, then I left it over night to dry. 
The next step was making the cakes, it took one 8" cake for the top and two 6" cakes for the base. After butter creaming and dirty icing I covered the top of the toadstool first which sat on a thin 8" board for structure. The top was straightforward once I'd placed the red fondant over the cake I went a little crazy covering it in white dots it could be so easy to go over board but I'm hoping I stopped at the right moment. 
The base of the toadstool I covered in white fondant and decorated it with three wood effect windows and a little wooden door which I'd used a leaf veining tool to give them a wooden look then finished with a yellow handle and arrows for hinges. Lastly I rolled small pieces of green fondant in the palm of my hand to make blades of grass that went around the toadstool.
The little snail was made with a piece of black fondant shaped like a worm with its head of the ground and then took a piece of purple fondant rolled it into a thin sausage shape and then rolled it round and stuck it to the body. To finish the board of all I did was placed some white blossom flowers around to brighten up the lawn.







No comments:

Post a Comment