Thursday 31 January 2013

Shoofly Pie

Every weekend we get the newspaper and I grab the glossy magazine as that's my favourite bit. After flicking through the home style section I came to the food pages and this week it was 'Kooky Crumbles', yum.
I'm a huge fan of fruit crumbles with my favourite being apple and now I have another to add to that list, a Shoofly pie. It's a treacle and syrup pie with a crumble topping, it also defies gravity due to the treacle and syrup being watered down with 175 ml of boiling water and an egg and a teaspoon of baking powder to thicken it which before cooking didn't look very thick! 
For the pastry I made a sweet shortcrust which I sweetened with icing sugar. I blind baked it for 15 mins and then for a further 5 without the baking beans making sure I didn't end up with a soggy bottom, although I was worried when the liquid went in as I imagined the mixture spilling out everywhere. 
For the last 10 mins of baking time I added the crumble mixture and breathed a sigh of relief to see the mixture sitting happily in the pastry case, YEAH!  





No comments:

Post a Comment