Tuesday 17 April 2012

Narnia Cake

The Narnia Cake is based on 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe' movie. It's a checker board vanilla and chocolate sponge and I found the best way to do that was to bake them both separate (otherwise it would be marble cake unless you have a divider tin) and then thirded each cake, sticking them together with chocolate butter cream.
The Wardrobe I made with madeira cake as it was standing up so it needed to be strong enough to stay standing once all the fondant went on.
The figures and the lamp-post were the only parts that were non edible as the person who ordered it wanted to keep them after the cake was gone.
The trees are made with green fondant and mint matchsticks, it works alright but I found that a couple of the matchsticks broke with the weight of the fondant. If anyone reading this blog has any other tree making methods I would love to hear them as I'm sure there must be better methods than that.
I thought the edge of the cake looked a bit bare so I piped some more trees with royal icing to make it look like the winter lifting and the summer returning.















No comments:

Post a Comment