Tuesday 3 July 2012

Picnic With A Pony Cake

The Picnic Cake was for Zara who turned 2 the other day. The cake was inspired by her pet pony, Billy who is black and white. For the pony figure I wanted to make it cartooney looking so I scoured the Internet to find a way to make a cute horse topper and found a video on YouTube which showed you step by step how to make a pony. The only difference between them is the colouring and the bit of straw sticking out of his mouth.
I had fun making the picnic scene especially the mini Victoria sponge to go on the picnic blanket, all I did to make the cake was cut two disks of light brown fondant one for the base and one for the lid then placed a thin layer of white and red fondant on to the base and topped it of with the lid. It was surreal cutting a slice out of a miniature cake. The straw mound was made with yellow fondant that I passed through a garlic press (the garlic press has never been near garlic, so no nasty garlic flavoured fondant).  
The blanket was made with rolled out white fondant were I added thin strips of red horizontally and vertically and then rolled over it again to merge the two colours together. It took two goes to get it right but all I did was turned the first try over and then tried again, thankfully it worked the second time. After that I cut around the edge to finish the gingham blanket of.   
The main cake was made with the chocolate brownie cake and covered in light green fondant, to hide the join between the cake and the board I piped some green butter cream round to look like grass and then added some sugar flowers to finish it all of.








No comments:

Post a Comment