Sunday 29 July 2012

Handbag, Shoe and Gift Box Cake

For this cake I was given plenty of information and pictures of what they wanted which made it easier for me. Originally it was going to be a gift box with a shoe on top but after showing them a picture of the Mulberry Birthday Cake I made last year they wanted one of them too.
Both the shoe and bag were made a head of the cake as they wanted them to be keep sakes. 
To construct the bag I made a card insert to lay the fondant on, it took a couple of goes and it had to be done in 5 pieces instead of one (I knew that method would be to easy). The side sections sunk in a bit which made it look more like a bag. All the bag, bar the Mulberry motif, were made with amethyst purple fondant with sugar paste mixed in to help it set. The motif was made with yellowy gold fondant and had the mulberry tree etched in. Underneath the bag are four yellowy gold feet. I made the bag in an hour or so which surprised me, I thought it would have taken longer.
The shoe was the most difficult part to the cake it took a number of attempts. The first thing I did was watched a video on youtube showing how to make a sugar paste shoe, although it only made a sandal type shoe without the back so I had to improvise with that. It takes quite a bit of patience with it taking a day and a half to dry and then I had to add another layer to hide any cracks that occurred during drying but once it had the two layers, the insole and the heel put on it looked like a half decent shoe.
The gift box is the cake covered in the amethyst fondant. To make it look like a box I added a strip of fondant about half an inch thick around the top to make it look like a lid. The ribbon is make with white chocolate flavoured fondant, the edge of the ribbon has a stitch line going down each side.
The board fondant is ivory and made to look like cloth with the Happy Birthday message piped on with purple royal icing.  














No comments:

Post a Comment