Sunday 25 September 2016

Bing the Bunny Birthday Cake



This cake was a 3D version of the popular children’s TV character Bing the Bunny, I have had the ‘pleasure’ of watching the program thanks to my then two-year-old nephew Tom who at that point really liked the show. Normally when I’m asked to make a cake based on a popular kids program I have to google it, but not this time.
With it being a cake that had to be carved I made a Madeira sponge as it’s a harder wearing cake unlike the very popular Victoria sponge which is to light and fluffy. I think it must be the addition of plain flour in the Madeira cake that makes it a good choice for a carved cake design.
The probable area with this cake was the ears, I had made these in advance but still had problems with them setting as the sugar paste didn’t want to dry, I think it might have been the addition of the colour that may have affected it. In the end I had to put dowels in the ears so they had more structure to them.
Carving the cake was quite straight forward as he’s a bit chunky around the hips section and has a short neck which helped keep the head up. Covering him with the fondant was made easier with it being dungarees and t shirt. Finishing touches were the buttons and a number 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment