Saturday 27 August 2016

Heart Dome Anniversary Cake



I’d been asked by a customer to make a filigree heart dome out of royal icing. My first thoughts were eeekk, and then I explained to the customer that I hadn’t worked with royal icing since my sugar craft course a number of years ago but that I would give it a go if she was happy with that. Thankfully the lovely customer was and said if I was unable to make the dome that a flat filigree heart would be more than ok. I’m quite a stubborn person and when asked to make something I have to make it exactly how they imagined it to be so I set about mastering royal icing.
The first thing I did was go shopping for a heart shaped mould of some sort so I could pipe on top of said mould and then lift it off once dry, easy right…. Wrong, it took a number of attempts just to get a nice filigree design and then lifting it of in one piece well there’s the tricky part. Four attempts down and I’m starting to consider a flat heart until my fifth heart dome came off in one piece and looked lovely. Hallelujah! All i had to do then was dust it with lustre and not break it!
Next I made the Victoria sponge, covered in cream fondant with a lattice design around the sides and finished off with the heart dome that I secured in place with royal icing pearls.
I had to deliver this cake so I packed a tool kit to fix any problems that may have happened on journey over, thankfully it was plain sailing and got there in one piece, phew.



No comments:

Post a Comment