Monday 19 November 2012

Roundhead Cake


The Roundhead cake was for a friends dad who loves history and his favourite times are The Tudors, Roundheads and I think The English Civil War. I went with Roundheads as I thought a helmet cake is more manly than a Tudor Rose and I couldn't put together an idea for Civil War. 
To make the helmet I made two 8" round vanilla sponges and cut the top off of the bottom sponge and neatened the top sponge as it had created a curved top when in the oven, which was handy.
The colour is dark grey for the helmet and instead of making a face for it to sit on (which would have been slightly creepy) I went with black so it looked like a mannequin head in a museum. 
For the detailing I printed a picture of the Internet so I could get all the markings in the right place. Once the modelling was finished I dusted some black powder colour around the helmet to age it and then finished with a shimmer powder to give it a metal sheen finish.
The board was covered in Teddy Bear Brown fondant. To create the ripples I rolled the fondant bigger than the board so that it creates natural creases making it look like fabric.      







No comments:

Post a Comment