Monday 19 November 2012

Butterfly Cake


For the Butterfly Cake I made the butterflies a day before the cake so they had time to harden and keep their shape with the wings stood up. The butterfly colour schemes are from photos of butterflies that I found on the trusty Internet. The main colours I had to work with were any shade of pink. Pink goes well with so many other colours so I knew introducing black, blue and purple would still work well with the main cake colour, cerise. 
For the cake I made two 8" round vanilla sponges, took the tops of both cakes and covered in vanilla butter cream. After rolling out the cerise fondant I marked out an 8" circle in the centre which I then rolled a butterfly print onto. Once on the cake the print sat on top and created a guide as to where to position the pre-made butterflies.
The board was covered in the same cerise fondant and then sprinkled with pink sugar to give it a glittery finish. Once the cake was placed on the board I then positioned the butterflies onto the cake glueing them on with royal icing. 







No comments:

Post a Comment