Thursday 16 February 2012

The Hair Salon Cake

The Hair Salon cake was a gift to a hairdresser who was retiring. The cake is based on her salon, so the wallpaper backdrop is similar to the wallpaper in the salon and the two drier hoods are too. The lady putting curlers in is meant to be the lady who retired and the lady in the chair is a customer. The rest of the objects on the cake are just pieces that are usually found in a salon like a can of hairspray, comb, mirror, hair drier and the obligatory pile of magazines (they were one of my favourite bits).


It was one of the biggest cake challenges I've had so far mainly because of the tiny objects to make and trying to pick the best section of the salon to create. The backdrop was difficult, I needed to find a way to make a sheet that was strong enough to stand up but that could still be edible so I went for a sheet of rice crispies covered in chocolate, which was then cooled over night and covered in fondant the next day. To get the flower effect I have sheets that when rolled over fondant imprint a picture, this gave me the perfect template to paint on using the edible colour dusts. The day before the cake was due to be finished I had a worry on that the wallpaper might fall over and break so I rolled out sheets of sugar paste and let them dry, however they didn't dry in time and thankfully the rice crispies held together.


Most of the items on the cake were edible, the two figures, the chair and the drier hoods (except the seat under them) weren't. The cupboard unit was a section of cake dirty iced and covered in brown fondant and decorated with a pot plant and a pile of magazines. The cake itself was a vanilla sponge with a layer of vanilla icing and then covered in brown fondant which I later put lines running through it to create a wooden floor effect.

I was really pleased with the finished cake as I put a lot of time and effort into making it look like a real salon I heard from the lady who order the cake that everyone loved it and it tasted yummy which is the main thing.





























No comments:

Post a Comment