Tuesday 20 September 2011

Butterfly Birthday Cake

The Butterfly Birthday cake was for a friend at work. Her birthday is a week after mine and I had just got all these new cake tools for my birthday and was dying to use them so I made her a cake.

It was a vanilla sponge with three different buttercreams so it looked like neapolitan ice cream when you cut into it. I then covered the cake in white fondant and was planning on using a sheet that rolls pictures on to fondant but I did it back to front by trying to roll the picture of butterflies on to the cake. It didn't work so in the end I rolled out a disc of fondant then rolled the butterfly print on to that and then lifted the printed fondant on to the cake, which is the right way to do it, then dusted with pink shimmer dust.

After that I had a look through the '1000 ideas to decorate a cupcake' book for some inspiration and found a cute picture of fondant flowers working their way around the cake and thought that would work with the butterfly print. To give the top of the cake a bit more depth I added a couple of individual butterflies with the wings slightly lifted so they looked real.




















No comments:

Post a Comment