Friday 8 July 2011

Wallace And Gromit Cake

I had loads of fun making my Dad's birthday cake. He's a huge fan of Wallace and Gromit, especially Shaun the Sheep (although he is missing from the cake, oops).
The cake is from The Wallace and Gromit Celebration Cakes book, which has some gorgeous cake designs in. It was difficult to pick just one but, with some help from my Dad, we ended up with the Pest Control van.
The van wasn't too bad to create - it's a straight forward shape and I used the cake recipe the book provides which is a madeira cake with melted white chocolate swirled through the mixture.
The cake was covered with blue fondant and I added the markings with the cutting wheel and black edible ink pen (they are so useful).
The figures were so much fun to make, especially the bunnies. I have a soft spot for all things bunny. The white bunny is a cartoon version of Mr Minnie Tinkles, the brown bunny is a cross between a rabbit and a donkey, and the head popping out of the ground is so cute.
Making Wallace was a bit of a hassle - he is meant to be kneeling but I was making the characters out of fondant and not sugarpaste so his legs just squished down everytime I tried to put him together so he is stood up now. I had no problems with Gromit, he was a good boy.
The grass effect was made with a hard bristle brush and looks quite effective.

My dad loved his birthday cake and he can't bring himself to eat any of the figures so they are stood on his computer desk.





















No comments:

Post a Comment