Friday 22 July 2011

R2D2 Cake

R2D2 was the most fun I've had making a cake. The Mulberry bag cake and this cake were for the same person and out of the two I would have said R2 would be the most difficult to make because of all the patterns and everything. It just looked like a nightmare waiting to happen but it wasn't. Thankfully :-)

The first thing I did was work out how many layers to do and which tins to use and then it pretty much took shape because R2 looks like a walking pedal bin.



After the cakes cooled I dirty iced them with chocolate butter cream and covered it in white fondant (no colouring, yeah). The legs were made out of rice crispies and chocolate so I could mould them and then covered them in white fondant too. The only problem I had was the legs were taller than the body which is annoying because I measured it beforehand so R2 shrunk. To fix it, I used one of the discarded tops off one of the cakes, covered it in grey fondant so I could make it look like a rock later on and sat the body on top. However I realised later on that R2's face is grey and not white so it kind of looks like he's sat on his head.


Once I had all the fondant smoothed I started adding the blue squares and grey wires and black outlines and in a couple of hours he took shape and this is R2D2 for little Davy.



















No comments:

Post a Comment