Sunday 5 June 2011

Sugarpaste Flowers

I made these flower sprays in class. It took four to five weeks to make and assemble, which seems like a long time but the classes were only two hours each week so that doesn't seem as bad.
I really enjoyed making the roses, the lilies and the tiny white flowers (can't remember the name at the moment). I can sit for hours making sugar paste flowers. It's so relaxing and therapeutic, but also fiddly from time to time. This lily spray was a bit of both - relaxing and fiddly.
In class the teacher wanted the sprays to stay white with the green leaves but I didn't know that at the time so brushed mine in yellows, pinks, reds and greens then steamed them so there was no turning back but I wasn't the only one in class who had done the same - oops!

If you like my lily spray I have also done a spray of orchids that can be found on an earlier post titled '60th anniversary cake'.



















These are some of the flowers that didn't make the final lily spray so I thought it would be nice to make them into a smaller, less impressive spray of flowers.

The lily took four attempts to make and still ended up being wrong in its colouring and also, when you hold it up, the petals don't sit right. I'm still pleased with the spray but I know its not perfect.








No comments:

Post a Comment