Monday 23 September 2013

Pink Princess Castle Cake

The Pink Princess Castle has to be the most structural cake I have ever made so far. Its made with 3x12" cakes for the base and turrets, 2x6" cakes for the second tier and 2x4" cakes for the top. All of the cakes were Victoria Sponge with jam and butter cream and it took 8 packets of pink icing to cover it all. The roof is the only part of the cake that isn't edible, I tried to make it out of cake but the angles were to awkward to cut so I used card then covered it in fondant to give me a base to stick the lilac fondant which I cut into strips with a ribbon cutter to get a curved finish.
To keep the cake sturdy I placed four dowels in the base cake then placed the 6" and 4" cakes on a thin cake board to sit on the dowels. I had originally not put dowels in the 6" and 4" as I didn't think the roof would be that heavy but while decorating the castle I notice the icing on the top tier had a curve appearing so of came the roof, in went two dowel and a thin cake board to rest the roof on. Thankfully this did the trick. 
The cake took two days to decorate but once I had finished it I was very happy and more so when they came to pick it up and got it home in one piece.  










No comments:

Post a Comment