Sunday 30 December 2012

Owls Tree House Cake

To make the tree trunk I baked two deep 6" round chocolate cakes so that they would stack on top of each other without needing any support rods. To create the roots I cut out certain parts of the base cake and stuck them on another part of the cake to make it look like roots, the carved out sections made it look more gnarly and tree like. The filling was chocolate butter cream and instead of using fondant to cover the cake I melted milk chocolate and brushed it on to the cake with a silicon brush, this also produced a bark like effect which works perfectly for this cake. To finish the trunk of I used green fondant which I pushed through a garlic press (please note it has never been used for garlic) and loosely placed it around the bottom to make it look like grass. 
To make the two owls all I did was use two contrasting colours blue and light blue, the blue was for the body, head, wings and ears and the light blue was for the circle on its face and the patch on its body I used a leaf cutter. 









No comments:

Post a Comment