Thursday 29 November 2012

Batman Cake

As soon as I'd been asked to create a cake based on either Batman or Spider Man for a young lad I knew exactly what I was going to do. 
I went with Batman so I could create a mini silhouette of Gotham City around the edge of the cake and have the Batman Logo on top so it looks like its beaming out from the city below. 
The cake was vanilla with vanilla butter cream and then covered in midnight blue. To create the city I wrapped a piece of grease-proof paper around the cake so it was the exact size and then drew the outline of the buildings on to the paper. Once the drawing was finished I cut it out and laid it on top of black fondant that I had rolled out ready, then it was a case of cutting around the template. After removing the template I made tiny holes in the fondant so they looked like windows and then lifted the black fondant on to ready rolled yellow fondant which was meant to be able to be seen through the holes but didn't quite work so at the very end after placing the city around the cake I piped yellow royal icing into the holes. 
To make the symbol I printed out a picture, cut around it, traced over it with grease-proof and then placed the template on to black fondant cut it out and stuck it on to a yellow fondant disc with a bit of water and positioned on the top of the cake finishing it of with the Happy Birthday message. 







No comments:

Post a Comment